Friday, January 8, 2010

Sweet Shrimp


I could seriously eat this EVERYDAY for the rest of my life, it's just that good!!! And since Texas lost to Alabama last night (sad, sad day), I needed some good food to console myself and thought this to be the PERFECT choice! If you've ever had walnut shrimp with the creamy sauce, this is basically that minus the walnuts. You're probably thinking I am crazy since most peoples favorite part is the walnuts but I'm just not a fan. The sauce on the other hand I just LOVE. This recipe is so simple and doesn't take long at all!

Recipe:
1 lb peeled raw shrimp (I used 26/30 count)
1 cup vegetable oil (Or enough to coat the bottom of the skillet)
2/3 cup cornstarch
salt
pepper
1/4 cup miracle whip (usually this is made with mayo, but I prefer the tang in the whip!)
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp lemon juice
1 cup uncooked white rice

Begin cooking rice to package directions. Put shrimp, cornstarch, salt and pepper in a bag. Shake to coat. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. While that is heating, begin to heat miracle whip, sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice in saucepan. When the oil is heated, put shrimp in skillet one at a time so they are separate. Fry for a minute or two then flip over to fry other side. This should only take a few minutes until shrimp are pink and crispy. Remove shrimp from skillet and place on paper towel to remove excess grease. Add shrimp to saucepan to coat with sauce. Serve with hot white rice.

Some do equal parts sweetened condensed milk and miracle whip (or mayo), but I prefer mine a little sweeter. This would have been SO good with some broccoli...I swear this sauce goes good with everything! But like I stated in a previous post, the grocery store didn't have any and I just couldn't wait to make this! This will keep me tide over till I make the hour and twenty minute drive to Din Ho again.

No comments:

Post a Comment