Monday, January 4, 2010

Meatless Monday - Tofu Veggie Stir Fry


After last week's Meatless Monday, I actually found the website dedicated to this "movement." You can read all about it at their website here. According to their website, going meatless not only has health benefits but environmentalist benefits too! These include, reducing your risk of cardiovascular disease, maintaining a healthy weight, minimizing water usage, and reducing your carbon footprint.

Surprisingly, I couldn't decide on which meatless meal I should make. At first, the thought of having a meatless meal seemed almost impossible, atleast in my household. I then decided on a stir-fry. Since this is the first meal I've actually cooked in 2010, I figured why not make it a healthy one. Lots of veggies, some tofu for protein and of course white rice. I would have added broccoli, but there was none at the store, so here's my almost complete stir fry!

Recipe:
1 zucchini, sliced thinly then quartered
1 cup baby carrots sliced thinly (regular carrots would work too, I just like baby ones!)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 block of tofu cut into small cubes
1/2 onion, diced
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
4 Tbsp stir fry sauce (you could use more, I just don't like mine too saucy)
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 Tbsp oil

Start rice and cook according to package directions. While rice is cooking, heat wok or skillet over medium high heat. While pan is heating, prepare the vegetables and tofu. Add oil to pan along with onions and cook for a minute. Then add garlic and carrots and cook for another few minutes. Next add mushrooms, zucchini and tofu and cook until vegetables are tender which should only take a minute. Add soy and stir fry sauce. Make sure all vegetables and tofu are coated with sauce. When rice is done, serve over white rice.

Some make thing stir fry dishes are intimidating, but they really aren't! They take only minutes to cook after preparing the vegetables and protein. It's super important to preheat the pan and keep it hot while cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment