Monday, January 11, 2010

Meatless Monday - Open Faced Tofu Burger With Baked French Fries


This was my first attempt at a tofu burger. I had some left over and really just didn't know what to do with it. I figured just treat it like ground beef...right? Also, I apologize for the slice of bread, I realized we were out of buns after I started making this. Oh well! This was pretty tasty, not one of my favorites though. Cameron really liked it, which was SUPER surprising. I was afraid to even tell him what it was before he ate it in fear he would just not eat dinner! This was also my first attempt at baked fries. Next time I'll probably just lightly fry them in a skillet with some olive oil to make them a little crunchier. The mushrooms and onions on top really did a lot for the burger! Perhaps someone has a tried and true GOOD tofu burger recipe. Send it my way if you do :)

Recipe:

**I made this for two, feel free to double or triple for more!**

Open Faced Tofu Burger
1/2 package firm tofu mashed up
1 egg
1/2 cup cracker crumbs
1/2 zucchini shredded
1/2 carrot shredded
1 Tbsp lite soy sauce
1 Tbsp minced garlic
salt
pepper

2 slices of bread (or hamburger bun!)
2 slices swiss cheese
mayo
mustard
1/4 onion
1/2 cup mushrooms

Mix the first list of ingredients in a large bowl. Make into two patties and cook in skillet for about 7 minutes on each side. Melt cheese on top of burgers for last 2 minutes. In a separate skillet or sauce pan, cook onions and mushrooms until tender and juices have rendered. When everything is done, assemble on bread with mayo and mustard. Feel free to add your other favorite "burger" toppings.

Baked French Fries

2 peeled Idaho potatoes
salt
pepper
cumin
garlic powder
cayenne pepper
ground mustard
olive oil

Cut potatoes into sticks. Mix seasoning in a bowl. You can use what you like according to your tastes. I like my fries with lots of flavor! Coat potato sticks with olive oil and lay on baking sheet. Sprinkle on seasoning. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.

Now I realize this probably isn't one of the meals, but who says the foods I blog about have to be AMAZING? That would be ideal, I realize that. But perhaps this will inspire someone to make something similar or completely different and that could end up tasting GREAT. In the end, it's a learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment