Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sushi Sunday


This was sooo much fun and soooo good! I LOVE sushi! We decided we would make up some rolls to eat while watching the game and decided every Sunday would be sushi Sunday, with different rolls each Sunday. Since this was our first go round, we stuck with pretty common ingredients. Plus, there were some newbie sushi eaters and we didn't want to scare them away! Going along with the "budget" aspect of this blog... It is thought that sushi is expensive, which it is if you get it at a restaurant. Prices vary from 7-17 dollars a roll. We made 10 rolls and all of the ingredients cost us around 23 bucks. And we didn't even use half of the avocado or cucumber or crab. So, this is a great way to eat sushi on a budget, make it yourself! I wish I would have taken a picture of the spicy mayo since its so yummy and my favorite sauce! I'll put up the recipe though. I'll try me best with listing ingredients and such, since we didn't really measure stuff out. Here goes...

Recipe:
short grain white rice (we cooked ours in the rice cooker on sushi setting)
sushi seasoning packet (I totally forgot to grab the name of it before I threw it out, but this can
be found in Asian markets. Or look for sushi vinegar.)
nori seaweed sheets (packages usually come with 10 sheets, which would make 10 rolls)
small package imitation crab stick, pulled into thin pieces
small package cooked baby shrimp
cucumber, cut into thin sticks
Avocado, thinly sliced
flying fish roe, also known as tobiko

Cook rice, whichever way you please. Put rice in baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle seasoning mix onto rice until it tastes as sweet as you wish. Let the rice cool. Spread a thin layer of rice over the nori. Place ingredients in thin lines horizontally on top of rice. You won't need a lot of each ingredient for each roll (maybe 3 pieces of cucumber, 3 pieces avocado, 7 baby shrimp..) Start at bottom of nori and roll the sheet tightly upward. Place the roll seem down. Use a very sharp knife to cut the roll into one inch sections. Repeat until you've made as many rolls as you'd like.

Spicy Mayo:
1 cup mayo
4 Tbsp sriracha (the chili sauce with the rooster on the label)

Mix mayo and sriracha together. Add more sriracha to taste, or lessen it if you don't like it too spicy.


Now I realize this wasn't SUPER helpful in teaching you to make sushi. I guess I am just more accustomed to it since I've worked in a sushi restaurant and I'm a little more familiar with seeing it made and how much goes into each roll. Here is a good website that shows step by step how to roll the sushi, since my instructions are not that beneficial. They use a bamboo mat to roll their sushi, but I've never used one so it can be done without! Also, you can leave out or add ANY ingredient you want when making sushi. We made 10 different rolls, and in some we put other things and in some we left out other things, its all up to you! One last thing, if the whole rolling idea wont work for you, hand rolls are a great way to enjoy sushi without it looking fancy. This website shows you how to make them, super easy! Wow, now that that is all said, I'll be adding more posts on other roll combinations we come up with...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment