Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Turkey Chowder


I wish this picture did this chowder justice! The chill we have had all week has now turned into a winter weather advisory, which is sort of a big deal here in Texas. I have to laugh though, being from Alaska and all. So, since I'm on this comfort food kick I thought I would make left over turkey chowder, a favorite of mine! I always called it turkey soup, but I guess it's more like a chowder...I wouldn't want to be misleading or anything! Now for an awkward moment, my ex boyfriend's mother used to make this which is where I got the recipe.

Recipe:
4 quarts water
1 large onion chopped
3 stalks celery chopped fine
2 large carrots chopped fine
3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups flour
1 pint milk (if you prefer it thicker use half and half, I tried to save SOME calories where I could)
3 cups chopped or shredded cooked turkey
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
salt
pepper

Simmer the turkey carcass in 4 quarts of water for a few hours. Skim the fat off the top. Remove the bone and reserve the meat. Strain the stock to get rid of all the little yuckies. In a saucepan, put in onions, celery, carrots, rice and 1 quart stock and cook for 20 minutes. In a large soup pot, melt butter and whisk in flour and cook till bubbly. Gradually add milk and 2 quarts stock while stirring. Salt and pepper to taste. Add turkey and rice mixture into pot and simmer until heated through or ready to eat.

I've never had this recipe without boiling the turkey carcass, but I'm sure it would work with regular chicken stock, though I don't recommend it. But! If you are in a hurry and just HAVE to have some turkey chowder right away, perhaps that would be the next best thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment