Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Meatless Monday - Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese


So, I'm trying out meatless Mondays, something that Cameron isn't too happy about. He's definitely a meat and potatoes kind of guy! I decided last night I was going to start doing meatless Mondays every week, so this was kind of a last minute recipe with stuff I had on hand. It has been a little chilly here in Texas the past week so some comfort food was exactly what we needed! It may not be that good for your waist line, but it sure is good!! I made a small dish just for two people, but the recipe can easily be doubled. The original mac and cheese recipe came from Kraft and can be found here. I tweaked it a bit and added the broccoli since we had some left over, and I am all about using up leftovers!!

Recipe:
4 Tbsp butter
1/8 cup of flour
1/2 cup milk
4 oz (1/4 pound) processed cheese, like Velveeta cut into 1/2 inch squares
1 cup cooked elbow macaroni
3 crackers (I used club crackers)
1 cup broccoli (I used roasted broccoli from this recipe, although plain uncooked broccoli could be used)

Preheat oven to 375. Melt 3 Tbsp butter in a saucepan and whisk in flour. Add milk gradually and stir until thickened. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add noodles and broccoli, stir to coat. Spray small baking dish nonstick cooking spray. Spoon in macaroni. Mix crushed crackers with 1 Tbsp melted butter and sprinkle on top. Bake for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment